Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sprouts!



Alright, I'm calling it:
FIRST DAY OF SPRING IN CHICAGO, today March 26, 2008 is pagan new years day.
Today there is plant-life pushing itself above the soil where there was none yesterday. I've been watching. No green until today other than the stuff that's always green--juniper, a few creepers and the plantain that never really dies.
So tomorrow is the beginning of the annual weed pulling, lest the plantains and dandelions take over the place.
At least we don't have kudzu.


It's a complicated point of high-energy theoretical logic that involves lots of heavy math, but you can never actually prove that the moment beyond this one will ever come or that the next moment will not be radically different from all the other moments that have passed before it. We can only say that IF things continue the way they have thus far, we MAY be able to make SOME predictions about things that will happen in the future.
If there should happen to be a future, which, ya never know.
Still, I had been hoping that Spring would come.
It's only...what, 5 days past the predicted beginning of spring...?
We got sprouts here. CONFIRMED SPROUT SIGHTING.
Happy New Year!

7 comments:

Slaptone said...

Well, I certainly hope there will be a future. I think this blog proves beyond doubt that there will be. Now that I know there can be a future, maybe I will be able to sleep!

Unknown said...

nice blog
wishing you a good day!
Mera Angle

Slaptone said...

Ahhhh, and now we will hope those sprouts are hardy - it's snowing. I think I will play bear today and crawl back under the covers (my den of hibernation) and wait for spring and the future to come knocking at my door before I reappear.

Bobzilla said...

It isn't really sticking to the ground, so I'm calling it either warm snow or cold rain.
But using blankets as a time machine might not be such a bad idea today...(in Captain Kirk voice) Ensign Warm blankies! Take us to the future!

Slaptone said...

~cough~ The cold rain sure is looking white on the ground...better get out your warm blankies and keep them out for a while Captain Kirk! In fact you might want to put those warm blankies over those sprouts! But you keep thinking positively for the future of warmth for us all, OK? Wake me up when it gets here.

Bobzilla said...

Um, every silver lining has a cloud?
Those sprouts were daylilies and it now looks like they've tucked their little heads back underground, as though they were just peeking out of the ground for a moment to see if it was safe, then went "Oops! It isn't time yet..."

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain and since I'm kind of plain, Spain looks mainly rainy to me.
In Chic-a-GO, da snows blows befo' da sprouts shows and things stays froze and below ze-roes until it's time for the rows of roses to grow.

In other words, I really need some coffee right now.

Slaptone said...

Ha! Love the poem! Very clever! Glad to hear the sprouts assessed the situation and decided to stay in the warmth of their blankies a little longer. Hopefully it won't be too long. You'll have to post another blog with pics when they are out in full bloom. I'll watch for it.